Members of Congress head home tomorrow for a month-long recess. Although they are escaping Washington, they won’t get a break from important issues that are awaiting them in September. Chief among them is the fight to defund Obamacare.
Our sister organization, Heritage Action for America, announced yesterday it will host town halls in nine cities across America. The “Defund Obamacare Tour” will feature Heritage Foundation President Jim DeMint, Heritage Action CEO Michael A. Needham, and Rafael Cruz, father of Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX).
Senator Cruz, a leader in the campaign to defund Obamacare, will make a special appearance in Dallas. Speaking at Heritage this week, Cruz said, “The only way we win this fight is if the grassroots rise up and demand of our elected representatives that they stand up and do the right thing.”
Heritage Action’s town-hall meetings will be open to the public. Here’s a list of the nine cities (click on each link for more information):
- Fayetteville, AR
- Dallas, TX
- Tampa, FL
- Nashville, TN
- Birmingham, AL
- Indianapolis, IN
- Columbus, OH
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Wilmington, DE
It was four years ago that an outpouring of tea-party activists turned out in droves for town-hall meetings. “Although Congress is now doing fewer and fewer town hall meetings,” Needham said, “the need for civic engagement has never been greater.”
I’m thrilled to be joining Heritage Action and to travel across the country to spend time with real Americans rather than Washington politicians. We want to hear directly from people in local communities who often suffer from Washington’s out-of-touch policies. Fortunately, Washington doesn’t have to win. We have an opportunity to change the direction of our nation by defunding Obamacare and advancing conservative policy solutions that will help place us back on the path toward fiscal responsibility.
Committing hard-earned taxpayer dollars to big-government schemes like Obamacare only doubles down on the status quo in Washington: unaccountable, unprincipled spending.
With critical issues at stake this fall — including a fight over government spending and the national debt — make sure your voice is heard.
- Today marks the 26th anniversary of Rush Limbaugh’s radio program. “For 25 years they’ve been saying I’m a fad,” he told his listeners.
- Conservative firebrands want scalps, not hollow victories.
- Is your doctor clueless about Obamacare?
- Common Core standards will leave your kids ill-prepared for university coursework or anything above an entry-level job.
- This governor stopped a pro-abortion protest with a plate of chocolate chip cookies.
- Is abortion a losing issue for conservatives? Here are two compelling reasons why the conventional wisdom is wrong.
- More teens are choosing to delay sexual activity.
- The truth about breadwinner moms.
- Medicare and Social Security have a cloudy future. Will they be there for you?
Source material can be found at this site.