When Obamacare’s health insurance exchanges open, your data could be exposed to shysters and hackers, thanks to serious vulnerabilities in the system.
The exchanges are scheduled to open on October 1 (just 53 days away). But the list of implementation failures keeps growing, and the security of Americans’ data is threatened.
THREAT #1: Obamacare “Navigators”
Navigators are a group of people and organizations that are going to be facilitating signups for Obamacare’s insurance exchanges.
- Example: Planned Parenthood has applied for navigator grants to work with consumers.
- Danger: HHS will not require navigators to undergo “minimum eligibility criteria and background checks.” The Administration’s training program does not require navigators to participate in anti-fraud classes. And many states do not have plans for investigating unscrupulous navigators who may attempt to prey on vulnerable and unsuspecting Americans. Even California’s Democratic insurance commissioner—a strong supporter of Obamacare—admitted “we can have a real disaster on our hands” if scam artists posing as navigators get access to applicants’ Social Security numbers, bank accounts, and other personal information.
THREAT #2: Obamacare’s Data Hub
The data hub is a massive compilation of tax filings, Social Security reports, and other government data that will be used to determine eligibility for subsidized insurance.
- Insecure? The hub isn’t scheduled to be certified as secure until September 30—only one day before the exchanges open for business.
- Cutting Corners: The HHS inspector general recently released a report highlighting major delays in implementation of Obamacare’s data hub. The report amplifies what former HHS officials have been saying for months: The Administration has been cutting corners on data privacy for the exchanges, raising major questions about whether the data on the hub can be certified as secure—or whether Obamacare will place Americans’ tax and other personal information at risk.
The Obama Administration’s shoddy, slapdash approach to Obamacare implementation is placing the sensitive personal data of millions of Americans at risk. It’s one more reason why Congress should refuse to spend a single dime implementing this unfair, unworkable, and unpopular law.
Read the Morning Bell and more en español every day at Heritage Libertad.
- Debunking some myths in the fight to defund Obamacare.
- It’s the president who is threatening to shut down the government, though the media won’t cover it that way.
- You may not believe that the majority of parents want this at their kids’ schools.
- How does President Obama’s economic recovery compare to those of other Presidents?
- Liberals are marshalling their forces to push Obamacare against growing opposition.
- The heartwarming story of two people who left Cuba to make a life in America.
- Obamacare even includes the food police.
Source material can be found at this site.