Members of Congress are still at an impasse—they cannot agree on the debt limit, spending cuts, Obamacare, or funding the government.
The House has passed a variety of bills that would have reopened portions of the federal government, but the Senate has rejected them all. As they volley proposals back and forth, there are two things they cannot ignore.
Obamacare is not even fully implemented, but it is negatively impacting people today. Just look at these responses we received when we asked readers about their health insurance costs. Premiums are going up—by hundreds of dollars per month for many. (Read here about how to send us your cost increases.)
It’s negatively impacting the practice of medicine. See what neurosurgeon and author Dr. Ben Carson told us about Obamacare getting between doctors and patients.
Conservatives across the country have made their voices heard—Obamacare must be stopped. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) told the activists at the Values Voter Summit on Friday that it is your voices that have helped House Members stand strong against Obamacare. And it’s not time to quit.
2. Spending Cuts
Obamacare creates new entitlement programs—which is the last thing the country needs as the existing entitlement programs are driving our spending and debt crisis. Even in the face of these huge problems, though, many Members of Congress are trying to go back and haggle over the 2.5 percent spending cuts agreed to in the sequestration deal that hails from 2011.
This is not only unproductive; it is absurd.
What Romina Boccia, Heritage’s Grover M. Hermann Fellow, wrote in August remains every bit as true today:
It is irresponsible for lawmakers to spend valuable negotiating time on how they can spend more of taxpayers’ money on discretionary programs when they should be pushing for an agreement to resolve the spending and debt crisis brought about by entitlement programs. Defunding Obamacare should be their first priority. Congress should cut spending and fix the real debt crisis—out-of-control entitlement spending—before or as part of any increase in the debt ceiling.
Obamacare and out-of-control government spending are holding back our economy and keeping people from jobs. These are two monsters Congress and the President cannot wish away.
Read the Morning Bell and more en español every day at Heritage Libertad.
- Thousands of people took down the shutdown barricades to visit and demonstrate at the World War II Memorial yesterday.
- Are you ready to hear about Obamacare from characters on your favorite TV show?
- Tom Hanks stars in the movie that opened this weekend, but the real-life Captain Phillips said the movie tones down his experience.
- A women’s fashion magazine with a no-Photoshop policy? Yes, it exists!
- Here’s our exclusive interview with Dr. Ben Carson.
- Have you gotten a letter from your insurance company about your premiums going up? Don’t forget to take a photo and send it to us using the hashtag #ObamaHikes!
Source material can be found at this site.