Kevin Whitson | December 11, 2015 at 12:03pm
On Thursday, a whistleblower came forward. Phillip Haney, a former Department of Homeland Security investigator, says he could have likely prevented the attacks in San Bernardino if the government had let him do his job. Three years ago, Haney had developed surveillance that revealed a global network of jihadists had infiltrated the United States.
Haney, one of the founding members of Homeland Security, had been transferred to the Intelligence Review Unit and it was in that capacity that he discovered the global network of jihadists at work in the U.S. It was at that point when Haney said he was visited by officials from the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security’s Civil Rights Division who told Haney that tracking the jihadists was “problematic” because they were Islamic groups. Haney said his investigation was shut down and 67 of his files were deleted. One of the files that was deleted was an investigation into the mosque that the San Bernardino terrorists frequently attended. Haney claims that he was targeted, reassigned, and eventually lost his security clearance, even though he had received a commendation letter for locating 300 known terrorists in the U.S.
Haney’s claim that he was prohibited from investigating the mosque that the terrorists attended is now being followed up with accusations that Obama issued a directive to downplay the terrorist attacks. Unnamed sources have come forward and reported that the White House tried to spin the attack by putting pressure on officials to downplay what happened as terror, presumably in favor of the term “gun violence.” Jack Murphey of SOFREP wrote that a confidential source revealed, “Obama held a meeting in the Oval Office with his National Security Council, the attorney general, and the directors of the DHS, FBI, and NSA, in which a directive was given to downplay the terrorism angle.”